Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years, ice sculptures and ninja attacks

Novi Gode, or New Years is celebrated on the 31st of Dec and 1st of Jan. At 10pm on the 31st, we sat down to the table to enjoy a meal and watch some New Year's programs on tv. At 10 minutes until midnight, we watched the President give a speech to welcome in the new year. We lit sparklers and popped open the champagne. Then at 12:40am Gambrill and I walked down to the town stadium, where many people gathered. All the kids played on ice slides. We knew many of them, so we joined in on the fun and were two of only a few adults sliding down the ice! At 4am we called it quits but the party went on.

The next morning we exchanged presents. The boys got new pirate outfits, new movies (over the hedge and the jungle book- in russian), jacks, marbles, and an octopus that grows in water (frightened Alishair to the point of grabbing his sword and running out of the room).

This is the tale of a frying pan. The frying pan below was purchased in 1979. The girls caught me taking this picture and were mortified that I wanted to put it on the internet, but I intend it as a tribute...I think it impressive that this frying pan has been used every day for 30 years. It is officially in retirement now, as I purchased Ludmilla a brand new one.
She is pretty excited about it and was engrossed in reading the specs on her new teflon pan with "hot spot technology" and all sorts of other fancy things.
The girls sporting their new earrings. This is Gohar.
And Indira.
Today the ice was really pretty on the trees and Ludmilla wouldn't give me breakfast until I took pictures. Because I was outside, hungry and cold, I thought I would at least show you.
Gambrill and I went with a colleague to the Nature Museum. They have a pin near it with buffalo, wild steppe donkeys, yak, elk and others.

Near the museum is a hotel complex. We walked around it. This is on their lake- a wonderful ice slide that I want to return and use!
Pretty impressive ice sculptures.
This afternoon I loaned my ski mask thing to Alishair, who enjoyed acting like a ninja.

I hope everyone had a good New Years.